The Academic Achievement Scholarship (AAS) is a one-year, $1,000 tuition scholarship that begins only during the fall semester. Recipients who are international or non-resident may be eligible to pay Texas resident tuition during the terms of the scholarship. If all scholarship requirements are met during year one of the award, the student will automatically receive a one-year renewal of the scholarship, pending availability of funds.
Please note, if you received the Academic Achievement Scholarship during the Fall 2018-Spring 2019 academic year, you do not need to reapply. TGS will automatically renew your scholarship provided you maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA for both the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters and meet all departmental criteria for satisfactory performance and progress.
- Awarding Department
- Toulouse Graduate School (TGS)
Eligibility of Academic Achievement Scholarship by the University of North Texas
Doctoral and Masters students who are newly admitted and have completed less than 12 hours toward their degree are considered for the award.
For International Students Only: Intensive English Language Institute (IELI) program must be completed in order to be considered for the award.
Holistic GPA Review Criteria
Standardized test scores and admissions information (only fully admitted students will be considered) are taken into consideration when awarding students. Undecided and pending students are ineligible to receive the award. In the past, successful candidates usually have met certain GPA minima:
- 3.5 GPA in the undergraduate degree for admission to the Master’s program;
- Or 3.5 GPA in the undergraduate degree for direct admission to Doctoral programs (when applicable);
- Or 3.5 or higher GPA in Masters-level studies for admission to Doctoral programs
Fully admitted graduate students that meet the eligibility requirements will need to submit UNT’s General Scholarship Application to be considered for this scholarship opportunity. Upon submission, applicants will be auto-matched for consideration provided they meet any of the criteria requirements.
- Resident and non-resident students are encouraged to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) but are not required to accept the awards offered through the FAFSA.
- Questions regarding the scholarship requirements and selection process can be directed to Fellowships and Scholarships Coordinator Yvette Whitworth at [email protected]
- More information about continued funding for scholarships can be found in the award offer letters.
- Read about additional ways to fund your education.
Annual scholarship offers are extended based on funds available, and scholarship application does not guarantee a scholarship offer will be extended. TGS encourages all students to apply for available scholarship opportunities, and be positioned to compete for available funding.