The Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship is financial assistance offered by the
Indonesian Government to International students from developing countries to pursue their
master’s degree in Indonesian Universities. Initially, the idea of offering scholarships by the
Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia for the student coming from
the NAM member countries were mandated in the 10th Conference of Heads of States of
Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries commenced in Bandung from 1st – 6th September
1992. Following that mandate, in 1993 the Government of the Republic of Indonesia started
offering postgraduate (master degree) scholarships to students from the NAM member countries.
Since 2002, due to the substantial change in the international political constellation, the use
of the term “NAM” in this program was considered irrelevant. The program name then
changed to Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (Developing Countries Partnership) Scholarship
or KNB Scholarship. Consequently, the program has been widely offered to students, not
only to the NAM member countries but also to other developing countries such as Thailand,
Fiji, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, Suriname, Pakistan, Guyana, Myanmar, Laos,
Vietnam, and Vanuatu.
1. To contribute to human resource development in developing countries;
2. To promote deeper cultural understanding between developing countries;
3. To strengthen the relationship and cooperation between developing countries.
Financial Coverage and Benefits of Indonesian Government Scholarship 2020
The KNB Scholarship covers:
1. A Settlement Allowance of IDR 1,500,000 will be given to new students upon their
arrival in Indonesia;
2. While taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory programs, the new
students will only receive a Living Allowance of IDR 2,750,000 per month;
3. During the Master Program, the KNB students will receive a scheme of monthly
allowance as detailed below:
No Allowances Amount
1 Living Allowance IDR 2,750,000
2 Research Allowance IDR 400,000
3 Books Allowance IDR 350,000
4. Health insurance with a maximum of IDR 200,000 monthly premium (In the case of the
cost of medical services exceeded to those covered by the health insurance, the
the difference should be borne by the student);
5. A round-trip international airfare (economy class) from the international airport of the
student’s home countries to Indonesia, including local transport to the host university;
6. The duration of the scholarship is exclusively correlated to the duration of the academic
program as indicated below:
- Indonesian Language Course and Master
Preparatory Program Maximum 12 months
- Master Program Maximum 24 months
- Bachelor Program Maximum 48 months
The scholarship is paid for 12 calendar months each academic year during the normal
period of study, except the last academic year of the normal period of study when the
the scholarship is paid for 8 months. Please be advised that in case of early program
completion, all scholarships payment will be stopped by the time the awardee set off
for home (returning to home country).
7. Please be advised that the KNB Scholarship is calculated to support the KNB Student
costs only. There is no provision for dependents. KNB Students are advised not to bring
dependents to Indonesia. The KNB Scholarship provides no financial or pastoral support
for dependants and will not endorse the visa applications of, nor provide travel for,
* Note: Other expenses besides the above-mentioned items will be considered as personal
expenses and will be borne by the students.
Eligibility for Indonesian Government Scholarship 2020
- The maximum age to apply for the scholarship is 35 years old.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree (master degree holder is not eligible to apply).
- Applicants must have a TOEFL or IELTS (or other certified English Proficiency Test) score
of 80 or 6.0 or equivalent.
- Applicants must complete the on-line application form.
- Prior to the departure to Indonesia, the successful candidates must sign the Statement
Letter and Scholarship Agreement prepared by the KNB Scholarship management.
Study Programs offered by the Indonesian Government Scholarship 2020
The scholarship is offered to potential students from the developing countries to get their
Master Degree in a wide range of field of study (please be advised that the study program
offered differs between university):
1. Literary studies
6. Cultural studies
1. Chemical Engineering
2. Civil Engineering
3. Architectural Engineering
4. Electrical Engineering
5. Naval Architect & Marine Engineering
6. Geological Engineering
7. Informatics Engineering
8. Environmental Engineering
9. Mechanical Engineering
1. Public Administration
2. Political Science
6. Economics/Development Study
7. Communication & Media Studies
8. International Relations
11. Community Empowerment
5. Remote Sensing
9. Environmental Sciences
10. Public Health
11. Sports sciences
12. Pharmacy Studies
1. Indonesian Education
2. Educational Science
3. Social Science Education
4. Natural Science Education
5. Primary School Teacher Education
6. Out of School Education/ Informal
7. Applied Linguistics
8. History Education
9. Instructional Education
10. Educational Management
11. Educational Research & Evaluation
12. Vocational & Technology Education
How to Apply for the Indonesian Government Scholarship 2020
All application process is conducted online through the KNB Scholarship website
https://knbscholarship.kemendikbud.go.id. Please be advised that soliciting is prohibited.
a. Required Documents
1) Recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in the respective country;
2) Nomination letter from the respective government official (Ministry of Education,
other related Government Agency – should the applicant works for the
Government Agency, or Embassy of the Applicant’s Country of Origin in Indonesia);
3) 2 Academic Recommendation letters;
4) Scanned passport (personal data page only) or birth certificate;
5) Scanned bachelor certificate and academic transcripts (in English);
6) Scanned TOEFL or IELTS score certificate (or other English Proficiency Tests)
obtained within the last 2 Years;
7) Scanned Official Medical Statement (Official Diagnose) prepared by a certified
b. Application Procedures
1) Download the Invitation Letter (Available in the KNB Scholarship website);
2) Submit the Invitation letter, Passport, Academic Certificates, and Academic
Transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the recommendation letter;
3) Complete the online application process;
4) Selection process. The Selection Results will be announced online via the KNB
Scholarship Website and officially announced through the Indonesian Embassy
During the application process, please pay close attention to some important information
1. We strongly suggest you collect as much information as possible on the universities
and your desired study program. Please be advised that once you are admitted,
changing either the universities or your study program is strictly prohibited.
2. The recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy is mandatory. The
recommendation letter will be issued based on verification and necessary background
and/or security checks conducted by the Indonesian Embassy. In the case of no Indonesian
official representative in your country, you need to obtain the letter from any
Indonesian Embassy accredited to your country.
3. All the required documents have to be written or officially translated into English.
4. The participants from English speaking countries are not automatically excluded from the
requirement to attach the written prove of their English proficiency.
5. The universities will be conducting a series of selection methods including (if
necessary) online interviews with potential candidates.
Deadlines of the Indonesian Government Scholarship 2020
1. The online application process must be completed no later than April 20th, 2020.
2. The selection result will be announced in the 1st week of June 2020.
3. The confirmation deadline is July 6th, 2020.
4. The students are expected to arrive in Jakarta on August 5th, 2020.