Global Korea Scholarship is designed to provide international students with opportunities to study at
higher educational institutions in Korea for graduate-level degrees, which will enhance international
education exchange and deepen mutual friendship between Korea and participating countries.
※ As Korean Government Scholarship Programs have been integrated and branded as Global Korea
Scholarship in 2010, the name is changed to GKS (Global Korea Scholarship).
In 2020, the Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship program aims to invite 1,276 international students from 153 regions who wish to pursue a graduate-level degree (master’s or doctoral) or research in Korea.
To be selected as a GKS (KGSP) grantee, an applicant must successfully pass the 1st round of selection managed by the Korean embassy where he or she holds the citizenship or NIIED-designated Korean universities.
TOTAL NUMBER OF EXPECTED GRANTEES: 1,270 Candidates
Benefits of the Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship 2020
– Entry to Korea: An economy class flight ticket from GKS scholar‟s home country to Korea
– Return: An economy class flight ticket from Korea to GKS scholar‟s home country
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW (offered once after entry to Korea)
- Monthly Allowance: (Degree Program) 1,000,000 KRW per month, (Research Program) 1,500,000
KRW per month
- Research Allowance
– Liberal Arts and Social Science majors: 210,000 KRW per semester
– Natural Science and Engineering majors: 240,000 KRW per semester
- 1-Year Korean Language Training Fee: Fully covered
- Degree Program Tuition: Fully covered
– Tuition amount covered by NIIED is maximum 5million KRW and the amount that exceeds 5
million KRW will be covered by scholar‟s university.
– University Admission fees are waived for GKS scholars
- Thesis (Dissertation) Printing Fee Reimbursement
– The actual printing cost shown on the receipt will be reimbursed (receipt submission required)
– The maximum reimbursable amount for each scholar: 500,000 KRW for Liberal Arts and Social
Science majors, 800,000 KRW for Natural Science & Engineering and Arts, Music & Sports
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 KRW per month
- Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month
– This special grant is given only to GKS scholars in the degree program who hold valid TOPIK
level 5 or 6.
- Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW (offered once)
– Offered to GKS scholars who return to their home countries after completing their degree
coursework under the scholarship program.
– NOT offered to GKS scholars who decide to remain in Korea after completing their degree
※ Korean Proficiency Grants, Korean Language Training Fee, Degree Program Tuition, and
Thesis (Dissertation) Printing Fees are ONLY given to degree-pursuing scholars.
PERIOD OF SCHOLARSHIP
- Doctoral Degree Program: 4 years
○ 1 year of a Korean language program
○ 3 years of a regular degree program
- Master’s Degree Program: 3 years
○ 1 year of a Korean language program
○ 2 years of a degree program
- Research Program: 6 Months
Eligibility of the Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship 2020
○ All applicants and their parents must not hold Korean citizenship.
○ Korean citizens and dual citizenship holders (one who have Korean citizenship and citizenship of
another country) are NOT eligible to apply.
○ Applicants and their parents who had previously held Korean citizenship must submit the document
that proves their renunciation of Korean citizenship.
2. Age Criteria
○ Must be under 40 years of age as of September 1, 2020 (born after September 1, 1980)
3. Degree Requirements
Applicants must hold or must be expected to hold a Bachelor‟s, Master‟s or a Doctoral degree by
August 31st, 2020.
– Doctoral Program Applicants: Must hold a Master‟s degree or a level of education equivalent
to a Master‟s degree
– Master‟s Program Applicants: Must hold a Bachelor‟s degree or a level of education equivalent
to a Bachelor‟s degree
– Research Program Applicants: Must hold a degree or a level of education equivalent to or
higher than a Master‟s degree and must have received an invitation from one of NIIED‟s
designated Korean universities.
Postdoctoral Research Program: Must hold a doctoral degree or a level of education
equivalent to a doctoral degree.
Professor Exchange Program: Must hold a Master‟s degree or a level of education
equivalent to or higher than a Master‟s degree.
Program for Education·Science·Culture·International Professionals: Must hold a Master‟s
degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a Master‟s degree.
- ○ Applicants who are expected to graduate at the time of applying must first submit the certificate of
expected graduation at the time of applying. The official degree certificate (or diploma) and final
the academic transcript must be submitted by August 31st, 2020 at the very latest.
– In case an applicant fails to submit the above-mentioned document by August 31st, 2020 or
does not fulfill the grade requirement, the scholarship will be forfeited.
- ○ Prospective applicants who have attained a Bachelor‟s, Master‟s, or a doctoral degree in Korea are
NOT eligible to apply. (※Exception: Overseas Korean Adoptees and GKS scholars)
- ○ Applicants who have previously studied in a Korean university as the exchange or visiting students can
apply to this program.
- ○ [Applicants of Korean Language Teaching Professionals]: Korean language instructors in the
countries with allocated quota are eligible to apply for the program with the following conditions:
– The occupation must be elementary/secondary school teacher, university lecturer, or professor
teaching the Korean language at a government-authorized education institution
– Must receive a recommendation letter from the chairman of the employed institution.
– Must have at least 2 years of a teaching career (as of February 29, 2020)
– Must hold (or be expected to hold) a bachelor‟s or above degree in Korean-related major
– Must hold a TOPIK level 4 or above (valid TOPIK score required as proof)
– Must major in Korean Language Education under GKS (Applicants must apply as a
„Korean Language Education‟ major. Korean Language Education includes Teaching
Korean to Speakers of Other Languages)
– Must apply to a higher level degree
ex) A master‟s degree holder cannot apply for the master‟s degree and MUST apply for the
- ○ [GKS Scholars re-applying to the program]: The former or current GKS scholars who have
attained or is expected to obtain the degree as of August 31st, 2020 are eligible to apply under
– Submit their applications either through the Embassy Track or the University Track and must
be selected from one of those two institutions in the 1st round of selection.
– Can only re-apply for a higher degree program once (Bachelor‟s→ Master‟s, Master‟s→
Doctoral) and must have an overall grade point average equivalent to or higher than 90%.
※ GPA: Grade Point Average, CGPA: Cumulative (overall) Grade Point Average
- All applicants must have maintained the overall grade point average (CGPA) equivalent to or higher than any ONE of the following from their respective universities:
– 2.64 on a 4.0 scale;
– 2.80 on a 4.3 scale;
– 2.91 on a 4.5 scale;
– 3.23 on a 5.0 scale; or
– Score percentile: 80% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 20% within
one‟s class (Exception: Previous or current GKS scholars must hold the grade of 90% or above
on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 10% within one‟s class)
- Refer to Appendix A for the GPA Conversion table
- If an applicant has a CGPA below the minimum grade requirement, the applicant will be disqualified and the application will be disregarded.
- If an applicant holds a transcript that does not include information on grade point average or is unable to convert his or her grades into any one of the GPA criteria mentioned above, then the applicant must submit an official document issued by the applicant‟s university describing the university‟s grade system.
- All applicants must be in good health, both mentally and physically, to study in Korea for the full
duration of degree or research programs.
- All applicants must submit Form 6 or the “Personal Medical Assessment” at the time of applying.
- All applicants who pass the 2nd round of selection must receive a comprehensive medical checkup
and submit the certificate of health and medical examination result issued by a medical doctor or a
- If an applicant is found to be in one of the following conditions, the applicant will be disqualified in
the final round of selection:
– An applicant is tested positive on drug tests;
– An applicant who owns a serious illness that prevents him or her to study abroad for a long period
of time including the full duration of degree or research program in Korea.
Deadline of Application Submission
○ The application deadline is set by each Korean embassy or university.
○ All applicants must check the deadline of application submission by contacting the relevant
embassy or desired university directly.
○ Please refer to the following for contact information:
– Korean Embassies in foreign countries: Refer to Appendix B
– Korean Universities: Refer to Appendix C or the “University Information” file(attached to
GKS-G Announcement post)