The Knight-Hennessy Scholars application is now open for autumn 2021 enrollment and is due Wednesday, October 14, 2020, at 1:00 pm Pacific Time.
Your fellow Knight-Hennessy Scholars will join Stanford from colleges and universities throughout the world, from a wide array of disciplines and professional experiences, and with a breadth of background, belief, and aspiration. This is a multifaceted community united by your curiosity and intellectual vitality, shared potential for leadership, and your humility and kindness.
Nearly 3,000 compelling graduate students enroll at Stanford annually. Next year, up to 80 (growing to 100 overtime) will be Knight-Hennessy Scholars. Knight-Hennessy Scholars span all seven schools at Stanford. If you become a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, you’ll be in good company.
All Knight-Hennessy Scholars have to apply to and be accepted by a graduate program at Stanford at the same time they apply to Knight-Hennessy Scholars. Your graduate program will be your primary affiliation, and the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will provide you with access to an additional community and opportunities tailored to scholars.
To be a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, you submit two applications:
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars online application
- Stanford graduate program application
Eligibility of Stanford University Knight-Hennessy Scholarships 2021
Applicants from All Countries Welcome
- The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program is designed to be open to a broad set of qualified applicants. As such, there are no restrictions based on citizenship, age, the field of study, career aspiration, etc. — nor are applicants required to seek endorsements from institutions.
- Beyond eligibility for your graduate program, the eligibility factor is the year you received your undergraduate degree. Please use the guidelines below to determine whether you are eligible to apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program for autumn 2021 enrollment.
Criteria of Stanford University Knight-Hennessy Scholarships
We believe the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program will attract the most promising future leaders from all disciplines and geographies. As a scholar, you will broaden your knowledge, develop skills, and strengthen your character; this will prepare you to effect positive change.
There is neither a typical nor an ideal Knight-Hennessy Scholar. In selecting Knight-Hennessy Scholars, we look primarily at three areas:
- Independence of Thought
- Purposeful Leadership
- Civic Mindset
Benefits of Stanford University Knight-Hennessy Scholarships
- Covers Full Tuition Fee
- Stanford University Knight Hennesy Scholarship Stipend for living and academic expenses
- Room and Board
- Academic Supplies
- Instructional Materials
- Local Transportation and Reasonable Personal Expenses
- Travel Stipend intended to cover an Economy-Class Ticket for one Annual Trip to and from Stanford University.
Application Process of Stanford University Knight-Hennessy Scholarships
We designed the Knight-Hennessy Scholars admission process with the goals of allowing you to know yourself better, enabling us to understand you, and empowering you to make your best case for admission — all while making the application process itself a great experience for you.
Step 1: Determine which Stanford graduate program you will pursue, prepare, and submit the application for that program.
Step 2: Start your Online application for Knight-Hennessy scholars and prepare application requirements.
Step 3: Submit all application requirements for Knight-Hennessy scholars online by the October 14th deadline.
Step 4: Upload video by 9 December 2020, through the link provided on your application status page.
Step 5: Take a deep breath. You’re done with the application.
Application Requirements of Stanford University Knight-Hennessy Scholarships
You must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program.
- You must submit all Knight-Hennessy Scholars application materials in English via our online application. We do not accept materials sent via email or postal mail.
- We highly recommend that you apply using a current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- For reference only, here is a PDF sample of the application for the autumn 2021 intake.
Deadline of Knight-Hennessy Scholarships 2020
You must submit the following materials via the online application by the October 14 deadline:
You may submit the following materials after the October 14 deadline, as indicated:
- Video (Link will be available after you submit your application.)
- Due no later than December 9, 2020.
- Test score update only if you have a new test score to report. Please visit the application for instructions on how to do this if you have already submitted your application.
If you want to be considered as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, you must submit a separate application to the graduate degree of interest at Stanford. Please apply to your respective Stanford graduate program(s) by the deadlines below:
|Graduate Degree Program||Application Opens||Application Deadline|
Graduate School of Business
|June 2020||Round 1 Deadline:|
|MS in Physician Assistant Studies,|
School of Medicine
|April 2020||October 1, 2020|
School of Medicine
|June 2020||AMCAS Deadline:|
October 15, 2020
|MS in Management Science & Engineering,|
School of Engineering
|September 2020||October 27, 2020|
|MA and Ph.D. in Education,|
Graduate School of Education
|September 2020||November 16, 2020|
|JD and advanced degrees,|
Stanford Law School
|August 2020||December 8, 2020|
|Any other Stanford graduate degree program||September 2020||Program’s standard deadline|
or December 8, 2020,
whichever is earlier
|*MD and JD/LLM/SPILS applicants: The deadline shown in this table corresponds to the date by when Stanford must receive your complete application materials. Since it may take a couple of weeks for applications to be processed through AMCAS or LSAC, we strongly encourage you to submit your application well in advance of the posted deadline.|