The Flemish Ministry of Education awards scholarships to outstanding students for Master programmes
in Flanders and Brussels. The programme aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top study
Applications will be accepted from all Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime
The total budget available for the Master Mind Scholarships programme 2020-2021 is €400.000. It is
estimated that 30 international students can benefit from Master Mind Scholarships.
Financial Coverage of Belgium Master Mind Scholarships 2021
- The scholarship amounts to €8.000 for the academic year 2020-2021
- €8.000 for the academic year 2021-2022 in case an application was submitted for a two-year Master programme.
- The first installment of €4.000 is transferred to the student’s bank account (European or Belgian bank
account only) prior to the start of the academic year in July 2020 or in September 2020. If a student
prefers to have the first installment paid on the bank account in his home country (not Europe), the
first installment of €2.000 will be made on the student’s bank account in July 2020. The second
installment of €2.000 will be made on a Belgian account opened by the student in September/October
- The second installment of €3.000 is transferred in February 2021 upon completion of the first semester.
- A final installment of €1.000 is transferred upon completion of the first academic year in July 2021,
or in September/October 2021 in case of re-sit examinations. If a student completes a one-year Master
programme, but does not obtain the Master’s degree at the end of the academic year in July 2021, or
in September 2021 in case of re-sit examinations, the final installment of €1.000 will not be awarded.
- In case of a two-year Master Programme, and on the condition that at least 54 ECTS were obtained in
the first academic year, €4.000 is transferred to the student’s bank account prior to the start of the
the second academic year 2021-2022 (or in September/October 2021 in case of re-sit examinations).
- The second installment of €3.000 is transferred in February 2022 upon completion of the first semester
of the second academic year.
- A final installment of €1.000 is transferred upon completion of the second academic year (in July
2022, or in September/October 2022 in case of re-sit examinations). If a student does not obtain the
Master’s degree at the end of the second year, the final installment of €1.000 will not be awarded.
- If a student enrolled in a two-year Master programme does not obtain 54 ECTS at the end of the
the academic year in July 2022, or in September 2022 in case of re-sit examinations, the student will not
be awarded the third installment of €1.000 and will not receive the grant for the second year of the
Eligibility Criteria of Belgium Master Mind Scholarships 2021
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution in
Flanders (hereafter ‘Host institution’).
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential:
-The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.5 out of 4.0:
-The student has a good knowledge of the English language:
-an overall band score of minimum 7.0 on the IELTS test;
-a minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test;
-a C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the Host
- Students who apply for a Master programme at a School of Arts have at least:
-an overall band score of minimum 6.5 on the IELTS test;
-a minimum total score of 90 on the TOEFL test;
-a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
or a similar result in another official English language test (recognized by the Host
- The Host institution also performs an academic check of the student’s file. The student has to
be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host
institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind
Scholarships programme, this criterion applies.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education
institution located outside Flanders. International students who have been on credit mobility in
a hosting Flemish higher education institution are still eligible for a Master Mind Scholarship.
Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply. The
the only exception is made for international students who, at the moment of their application in
Spring 2020, are already enrolled in a specific preparatory programme in order to start a master
programme in September 2020.
- Students who enroll for following programmes for the academic year 2020-2021 are not eligible
for the Master Mind Scholarship:
- Student mobility during the master programme is allowed. However, at least half of the credits
of the master, programme must be obtained at the Flemish Host institution.
How to Apply for Belgium Master Mind Scholarships 2021
Step 1: The applicant submits his/her application to the Host institution. Internal deadlines set by
the Host institution may differ (see section 6. Timing)
Step 2: The Host institution accepts the application of the candidate.
Step 3: The Host institution starts the application procedure for the Master Mind scholarship by
creating the candidate’s application file in the Mobility-Online tool.
Step 4: The applicant receives an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying him/her of
being pre-selected for a Master Mind scholarship.
Step 5: The applicant registers in the Mobility-Online tool and completes his/her application file in
the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline.
Documents to be uploaded:
– Passport photo
– International passport or national ID
– Transcript of records; if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
– English language test results or Letter of the exemption provided by the Host university
– Letter of motivation written in English
– Two letters of recommendation from professors of your (previous) Home university, University of Applied sciences, School of Arts or recent employer wrote in English.
– Copy of acquired diploma(s); if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
– Three reasons for motivation for submission (at least 150 words) of the candidate’s application
formulated in English by the Host institution; format: text box in the application form or a
Step 6: The Host institution validates and submits the completed application file in the Mobility Online tool before the deadline of midnight 30th April 2020 GMT+1. Applications validated submitted
after midnight 30th April 2020 GMT+1 will not be accepted.
Deadline of Belgium Master Mind Scholarships 2021
• Launch of the call: January 2020
• Deadline for application at Host institution:
• KU Leuven / University of Leuven: 1st February 2020
• University of Antwerp: 1st March 2020
• Ghent University: 29th February 2020
• Hasselt University: 15th March 2020
• Vrije Universiteit Brussel: 28th February 2020
University colleges, also know as Universities of Applied Sciences (and Arts):
• Antwerp Maritime Academy: t.b.c.
• Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp: 1st March 2020
• Erasmus University College Brussels: t.b.c.
• Karel de Grote University College: t.b.c.
• LUCA School of Arts: 1st March 2020
• PXL University College:2nd March 2020
• University College Ghent: 20th March 2020 (4.00 pm)
• Deadline for application: 30th April 2020
• Selection: May 2020
• Announcement of selection results: June 2020
• Start of mobility: September 2020
Should you have questions about the scholarship programme, please contact the Host institution or
the VLUHR-secretariat: [email protected]