The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship was established in 2015 to
promote educational opportunities, foster internationalisation and support talented
international students who are enrolling for the first time into undergraduate or postgraduate
programmes1 at the University of Waikato. The Scholarships have a value of up to
NZD$10,000, and will be awarded to successful applicants from countries listed in the table
below who demonstrate excellent academic achievement, and strong potential to become
global ambassadors for the University of Waikato.
The Scholarship will be applied to tuition fees only and is not transferrable. Students are
required to pay their first year of tuition fees and apply for a student visa. The University will
transfer the scholarship funding to the student’s tuition fees after their enrolment has been
Benefits of New Zealand University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship 2021-2022
The Scholarship will have a value up to NZD$10,000 and will be applied directly to
the recipient’s tuition fees for their chosen programme/s of study either at the time of
offer or once their enrolment is completed.
The amount offered for this Scholarship is at the discretion of the Selection Committee and will be based on criteria such as, but not limited to, total available funding, grades, financial need, number of credits enrolled, number of applicants, period of enrolment.
Eligible Countries for University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship 2021
North America: USA, Canada
Latin America: Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Chile, Ecuador
Europe: Germany, UK, France, Norway
East Asia: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan
South Asia: India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Maldives
South East Asia: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand,
Middle East: Jordan, Iran
Africa: Kenya, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius
Eligibility for University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship 2021-2022
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be a citizen of, or currently studying in, one of the countries listed in above
- not currently be enrolled at the University of Waikato (including the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English, the Certificate of Attainment in Foundation Studies, the International Diploma of Business or Science or any other pre-degree pathway programme)
- not have paid fees at the time of application
- be applying to enrol for the first time in either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree1 at the University of Waikato
- have met the University of Waikato’s English language requirements for admission, or have an offer for the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English at the University of Waikato, prior to beginning any studies through UOW
- have received a conditional or unconditional offer of place from the University of Waikato
- in the year of tenure, be commencing a full-time programme/s of study with a total duration of at least 12 months at the University of Waikato
- be residing in New Zealand for the tenure of the scholarship and may only study a maximum of 50% of their course online (if this option is available)
- not be coming to the University of Waikato via a sponsoring body
- not be coming to the University of Waikato on a Guaranteed Credit
- have a minimum GPA-equivalency of B+
- Applications for the Scholarship can be submitted at any time.
- Decisions will normally be made within 8 weeks of the time of application. However, some decisions will take up to 12 weeks (e.g., when the University closes in late December).
- Applicants must be intending to enrol on the date outlined in their Offer of Place.
- Applicants must be overseas at the time of submitting their application for the scholarship, and must submit their scholarship application prior to lodging a visa application to travel to New Zealand.
- Applicants must upload the following as part of their online application:
a) Their conditional or unconditional offer of place from the University of
b) A personal statement that sets out the following (on the template
What are your career goals/aspirations?
How will an international education experience help you to achieve
What additional qualities/skills do you have that make you an ideal
candidate for this scholarship and an ambassador for the University of