The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship is a comprehensive scholarship sponsored by the government of Japan, in which Japanese universities recommend individual applicants to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (known as the “Monbukagakusho” in Japanese or by its English language acronym “MEXT”) for a scholarship. After a subsequent review of those students recommended for a scholarship, awardees are selected by MEXT. The following explains procedures for students who wish to seek Ritsumeikan University admissions accompanied by a university recommendation to MEXT for a scholarship.
Benefits of Ritsumeikan University Japanese Government Scholarships 2021-2022
- Monthly Allowance: JPY 143,000-145,000 (based on 2021 figures. The amount is subject to change according to budgetary constraints and the cost of goods.
- Tuition: Students will be exempted from paying tuition fees while under scholarship.
- Travel: (to Japan)
As a rule, students will be provided a one-way, economy-class ticket from the International Airport nearest their residence to Kansai International Airport. For 2021, however, the arrival may be limited to Narita International Airport due to Covid-19 restraints. Information will be provided just prior to the arrangement of tickets, one to two weeks prior to travel. Travel to the airport in their home country and travel within Japan is at the expense of the student. Travel must originate from the student’s home country.
Students who leave Japan during the month of completing their scholarship-sponsored studies will be provided an economy-class ticket from the international airport closest to their university (Kansai International Airport) to the international airport closest to their home.
Eligibility Requirements of Ritsumeikan University Japanese Government Scholarships 2021-2022
To be eligible to apply for the Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality are not eligible.
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1986.
- Be in both good physical and mental health.
- Be willing to newly acquire a student visa and newly enter Japan for the purpose of study upon receipt of the scholarship.
- Be able to arrive in Japan on a date designated by Ritsumeikan University in the middle of September 2021.
- Have a CGPA equal to or higher than 2.30 out of 3.00 for the current degree program (or most recently attended degree program for persons not currently enrolled).
- For applicants to English language medium degree programs: Have English language ability equal to or greater than Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level.
Application of Ritsumeikan University Japanese Government Scholarships 2021-2022
At Ritsumeikan University, applicants may apply for enrollment to the Master’s and/or Doctoral degree programs of certain select graduate schools via the application procedures described below. Applicants selected for enrollment via these specific procedures will also be granted a university recommendation for MEXT scholarship.
Understand that the graduate schools listed in the application guidelines are recruiting applicants for admission for either their Master’s or Doctoral degree programs (or both) as indicated in the application guidelines, only. Graduate schools and/or degree programs NOT listed in the guidelines are NOT being recruited for. For example, the Graduate School of Science and Engineering is not listed in the application guidelines because that graduate school is not recruiting prospective MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship applicants for 2021 enrollment.
Please carefully read through all sections of the application guidelines and the FAQ before beginning to complete an application:
*Please download the documents to your computer first then fill them in digitally before printing. Before printing the PDF, be sure to either delete or turn off the “Sticky Note” comment boxes on the PDF application forms. Further reference materials may be found below.
Application Procedures and Forms of Japanese Government Scholarships 2021-2022
Download the set of PDF application guidelines and forms applicable to the graduate school of your interest in section “1” as well as the section “2” WORD research plan template.
- 1.1 Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate School of Economics (M/D)
- 1.2 Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate Schools of Policy Science (M/D), International Relations (M), Information Science and Engineering (M), and Life Sciences (M/D)
- 2. Field of Study and Research Plan [Required for all applicants]
Notes to Keep in Mind before Posting your Application
- Make sure that all of your application documents meet all requirements described in the guidelines and the checklist before checking off each item found in the checklist.
- In particular, your Letter of Recommendation will not be accepted if it does not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines.
- Additionally, your transcripts also will not be accepted if they do not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines. If the form does not meet the criteria in the guidelines, please obtain additional supplemental documentation as necessary from your universities, such as a detailed grade scale used by the university or a course registration record to show the year and semester when each of your courses took place before submitting your application.
- If the rest of your documents are ready but you are waiting for the arrival or announcement of your English language test score, please send the rest of your application in advance before the deadline. Follow up by delivering your language test score as soon as it is ready.
Timeline Application to Enrollment Japanese Government Scholarships 2021-2022
The following is a general schedule prediction based on last year’s process. Timing of all points below, but in particular the announcement of scholarship results and so on, are at the discretion of MEXT and the university and are subject to change.
|Dec 2020 – Feb 2021||Applicants submit applications to Ritsumeikan University (hereinafter “RU”)|
|Feb – Mar 2021||RU announces admission results to applicants|
|Mar – Jun 2021||RU submits scholarship recommendations for applicants who succeeded in the admissions process to MEXT|
|Jun – Aug 2021||MEXT notifies scholarship results to RU|
|RU notifies applicants of their scholarship selection results|
|Aug – Sep 2021||RU issues MEXT Scholarship Certificates to those granted MEXT scholarship|
|Successful applicants submit the MEXT Scholarship Certificate to their local Embassy or Consulate of Japan to apply for a student visa as a Japanese government scholar|
|Mid-Sep 2021||Scholars travel to Japan on a date designated by RU, attend orientation, etc…|
|Sep 26, 2021||The Fall Semester begins and scholars begin their formal studies at RU|