Mathematics: Scholarship Fully Funded Ph.D. at Swansea in Topological Data Analysis for Biomedical Data
- Degree: Ph.D. Program
- Worth: Full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, along with a stipend
- Closing Date: February 28, 2020
Name for Project Supervisors:
- Supervisor 1: Jeffrey Giansiracusa
- Supervisor 2: Yue Ren
It is announced that As part of the major Oxford-Swansea-Liverpool Centre department for Topological Data Analysis (funded by EPSRC and reference of grant EP/R018472/1), looking for a student of Ph.D. to join the team of Swansea (consisting of 5 permanent core members and multiple postdocs and Ph.D. students) in applications investigating of topology to data of science and physics.
The main focus of this project will be to develop and implementation of new computational topology methods for a diverse range of data-analysis problems, driven by challenges from biomedical science, economics, and the subject of physics. Principal tools will include persistent Mapper / Ball Mapper homology and on graphs Hodge theory. The project will involve multiple mixtures of theoretical and computational work (all of both using existing tools and also writing new code).
The successful student will work under the boundary of Computational Foundry and it will be a part of the Swansea Science Doctoral Training Centre and have access to training of an array and have networking opportunities for Doctoral Training through two Centers and that’s we host.
It is announced that our interdisciplinary team consists of the following members currently:
- Professor Jeffrey Giansiracusa – He is an expert in topology and tropical algebraic geometry.
- Professor Biagio Lucini – He is an expert in computational physics, quantum theory, and machine learning
- Dr. Pawel Dlotko – He is an expert in data analysis, applied and computational topology.
- Dr. Yue Ren – He is UKRI Future Leader Fellow with interests in tropical geometry computational geometry and machine learning.
- Dr. John Harvey – He is Daphne Jackson Fellow with interests in computational geometry.
- Dr. Farzad Fathizaddeh – He is Sêr Cymru Fellow having research interests in/ statistics, data science, and noncommutative geometry.
- Dr. Tak-Shing Chan – having Research interests in machine learning and topological data analysis.
- Group of Multiple Ph.D. students
- Background along with the Centre for Topological Data Analysis:
- Modern science and technology generate data over an unprecedented rate. A major challenge is that this data is high dimensional, often complex may include temporal and/or on the grounds of spatial information. The “shape” of the data can be very important but difficult to extract and quantify, it will be using standard machine learning or statistical techniques. We put an example as a blood vessel image near a tumor that looks very different than a healthy blood vessel image. Also, it is announced that the Statistics alone cannot quantify this difference and the new shape analysis methods are required.
That the aim of the Centre is to build on current persistent homology tools, extending it computationally, theoretically, and adapting it for practical applications. Our core team is composed of experts in the grounds of purity and applied mathematicians, computer scientists, and statisticians whose will combined expertise covers cutting edge pure mathematics, algorithm design, mathematical modeling and data analysis, that the core team will work directly with our collaborators in a specific range of scientific and industrial domains.
This is a scholarship by Swansea University.
Swansea is a coastal city and county and officially known as the City and County of Swansea in Wales.
It is the best option of a TOEFL test for the students to meet the English Language requirement for any scholarships.
Mostly English speaking skills are compulsory for those students who apply for a scholarship for these students to test your English language proficiency.
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Applicants must have a first or upper second class honors undergraduate degree equivalently or a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
It is announced that the applicants whose first language is not English then we require IELTS 6.0 (with 5.5 in each component) or equivalent in a relevant discipline in this regard please visit our website for a list of acceptable English Language tests.
It is Important that international (non-EU) candidates are also welcome to apply, but a portion of the stipend would have to be used to cover the difference between UK/EU fees and or full international fees.
Benefits of the Scholarship
It is announced that this is a three-year fully funded Swansea University scholarship, which covers UK/EU tuition fees along with a benefit of annual stipend worth of £15,245. A grant of Additional funding is also available to cover costs such as research consumables, pieces of training, conferences and travel costs.
It is also announced that the international (non-EU) applicants are welcome to apply, but a portion of the stipend would have to be used to cover the gape for UK/EU fees and full international fees.
Application for Scholarship
For more information’s please visit our website for more information.