Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) is now open for all international students, so now, you have the opportunity to apply for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (SGS) before the deadline.
Each year since 1961 the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships are aimed at young researchers from abroad who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. and at foreign artists holding a bachelor’s degree.
Warning of fraud attempts regarding swiss government scholarships (phishing)
The State Secretariat for Education, Research, and Innovation issues this warning regarding false advertisements for Swiss government scholarships sent by email or on social media. Fraudsters are offering fake scholarships in an attempt to get their victims to transfer money (e.g. by claiming that this money is required for visa or social insurance costs).
The Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students FCS recommends that members of the public ignore these fraudulent offers and above all do not transfer any money. The application process for a Swiss government scholarship is free of charge.
Swiss government scholarships are offered by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students exclusively via Switzerland’s official diplomatic representations in the applicants’ countries of origin.
What are the Benefits of Swiss Government Scholarships?
- One-year half-fare public transportation card
- Monthly stipend of CHF 1920
- Health insurance for non-EU and non-EFTA students
- Special CHF 300 housing allowance (paid once at the beginning)
- Support for various trips, dinners, and sightseeing tours.
- For non-EU students, a flight allowance for a ticket back to their home country
- Monthly stipend of CHF 3500
- All other benefits are the same as mentioned above for Ph.D.
Which Types of scholarships Available
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland.
Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
Are you Eligible for Swiss Government Scholarships?
Check the application deadline, Financial Coverage offered, what documents required, and the different types of scholarship on offer by clicking on your country name. These vary according to country. You will also find details of what to do next and where to get more information.
What are the selection criteria of Swiss Government Scholarships for International Students
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
- Candidate profile
- Quality of the research project or artistic work
- Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
What is the Application Procedure of the Swiss Government Scholarships 2021-2022
Release of programme for 180+ countries
- Contact the Swiss Embassy of your country of origin
- (Go to www.sbfi.admin.ch/scholarships_eng)
- Contact Institution for the application by e-mail or by phone
- Get the application package from the Swiss representation