Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is an academic enrichment program for outstanding high school students from around the world. Each summer, students from over 130 countries (including all 50 U.S. states) participate in one interdisciplinary, two-week session at Yale’s historic campus. Immerse yourself in a global learning community at Yale University.
Eligibility of Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program 2021
In order to apply to Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS), applicants must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: Be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2021
- English Fluency: Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be graduating in May/June 2022 or 2023 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2021 or 2022 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- YYGS Participation:Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in any YYGS session during a previous summer (e.g., 2020, 2019), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2021.
Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable to attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2021.
This rule is so that YYGS is in compliance with legal restrictions for running a summer program for minors, and no exceptions can be made.
YYGS accepts applications from ALL countries and offers the opportunity for students to apply for need-based financial aid to students from ALL countries.
Required Application Documents of Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program 2021
All students must submit the following application components:
- Activities list
- One 500-word essay and one 200-word response
- Two “fast take” responses (280 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- Two Recommenders (who will complete YYGS Recommendation Forms ONLY)
- Application fee ($60 for Early Action, $75 for Regular Decision)
- You must click the Finalize & Pay button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
- OPTIONAL: English fluency test scores (TOEFL or DuoLingo)
- OPTIONAL: Need-based financial aid
We accept completed online YYGS Recommendation Forms ONLY; we do NOT accept written letters of recommendation. The form helps us to compare among applicants coming from vastly different places around the world, and we hope it helps recommenders to save time since it is a very simple, user-friendly form.
Benefits of Yale University Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program 2021
YYGS will waive the application fee if it constitutes a significant financial burden for the student’s family. The fee waiver option is only available for students who apply for need-based financial aid using the YYGS online application. Students who apply for a fee waiver must have a school official finalize the form.
How to Apply for Yale University Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program 2021
- Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.
- Review the YYGS application required components.
- Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
- Click APPLY NOW to start your YYGS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time.
- Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and re-visit any pages that require further information.
- Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.
- If you submitted a completed Fee Waiver request, then you can check your Applicant Status Portal to see when it is approved or denied. If your Fee Waiver Request is denied, then your application will not be reviewed until the YYGS application fee is paid.
- Check your inbox for a YYGS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays in payment processing.
Application Deadlines of Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) program 2021 | United States | Yale University
- Application Deadline: 11:59 PM ET on November 10, 2020
- Deadline to Accept or Decline YYGS Offer: 11:59 pm ET on January 7, 2021
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm ET on January 12, 2021
- Deadline to Accept or Decline YYGS Offer: 11:59 pm ET on March 15, 2021