Otago International Excellence Scholarships welcome, support, and recognize the very best international students commencing a coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma in Business, Humanities or Sciences, at the University of Otago. These merit-based scholarships recognize academic excellence, diversity, and leadership potential in supporting high-achieving students in their studies. The scholarships are also designed to support those students best placed to make a positive impact on society in their future careers.
|Eligible students||International students commencing a coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma at the University of Otago, living in New Zealand, or studying online (subject to programme availability).|
|Value||NZ$10,000 for tuition fees|
|For how long||12 months|
|For studying beginning in||Semester 1 (February) 2021 or semester 2 (July) 2021|
Note: not all programmes offer a semester 2 intake
|Application dates||Opening date: 1 May 2020 for semester 1 and 2|
Closing date: 10 December 2020 for semester 1, and 30 April 2021 for semester 2
Eligible students of Otago International Scholarships 2021
To be considered for a scholarship, students must be:
- International students who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents; and are
- Applying to study an eligible coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma in Business, Humanities, or Sciences; and are
- Intending to commence full-time study in that programme in 2021.
Eligible programmes of Otago Excellence Scholarships
The programme for which a student is applying must be either:
- For students living in New Zealand: a coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma offered by the Divisions of Business, Humanities, and Sciences, that is offered on-campus, online, or by distance in 2021.
- For students living outside of New Zealand: a coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma offered by the Divisions of Business, Humanities, and Sciences, that is offered online or by distance in 2021.
The application process for University of Otago International Scholarships 2021
There is no formal application process. Students will be assessed for a scholarship on the application for their programme and recipients will be advised of their scholarship in the Offer of Place.
The selection of scholarship recipients is at the discretion of the University of Otago.
Terms & Conditions of Otago Scholarships, New Zealand
- Eligible programmes are coursework master’s degree, honors degree, or postgraduate diploma in the Divisions of Business, Humanities or Sciences.
- International students are students who are neither citizens, permanent residents nor resident visa holders of New Zealand or Australia.
- Eligible students must have an Offer of Place for full-time study in an eligible postgraduate programme.
- International students currently studying undergraduate degrees at the University of Otago are eligible.
- Deferral of the scholarship is not normally possible. However, there may be exceptions related to COVID-19.
- The scholarship applies for one year of study only.
- This scholarship will not appear on the recipient’s academic transcript.
- The scholarship is paid as a credit towards tuition fees.
- Payment of the scholarship for recipients who commence their full-time study at the University of Otago in Semester Two and intend to enroll in full-time study at the University of Otago in Semester One in the following year will normally receive half the scholarship amount when they commence their study and the remaining amount when they recommence in Semester One the following year.
- The Scholarship cannot be held in conjunction with an Otago Coursework Master’s Scholarship.
- The Scholarship may be held with another scholarship as long as this is permitted within the regulations of the other scholarship(s). It is the responsibility of the recipient to declare multiple scholarships to the University of Otago.
- In order for the scholarship to be applied, recipients must be enrolled and studying the degree stated in the Offer of Place.
- Recipients agree to reasonable requests from the University of Otago to appropriately represent the University and the scholarship.
- The University of Otago may, at any time, suspend or terminate the scholarship, or require the forfeiture of such proportion of the scholarship as the University of Otago may determine if it is not satisfied that the recipient is enrolled and studying full-time, full-year, and diligently pursuing a full-time, full-year programme or if the recipient has brought the University of Otago or the scholarship into disrepute.
- Upon the termination of a student’s enrolment for any reason, including his or her withdrawal, entitlement to scholarship funding shall be canceled. In such circumstances, the University may also require repayment (in part or full) of any scholarship payments already made.