The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country.
Benefits of American University Scholarships
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
Who can not Apply for American University Undergraduate Scholarships
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2019.
AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2021. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Eligibility of American University Scholarships
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum of 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading Subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 120+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 110 or above)
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2021.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2021.
- The AU EGLS selection process is the most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common or Coalition Application, and international admissions process by December 15, 2020.
How to Apply for the American University Scholarships at Washington D.C
- Complete the online AU EGLS application.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885 1025.
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test score results by December 15, 2020, at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly to American University Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2020, or by January 15, 2021, at the latest. Please note that students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA such as USAP, CCC, Opportunity Grants, Diana Kamal Scholarship Search, or similar, or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to [email protected] as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC, and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$70,231 (estimated costs for the first year of study).
Skype interviews and additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
Deadline for American University Scholarships
Applications with all supporting documents by the deadline of December 15, 2020, or by January 15, 2021.